Brave bystanders chased a terrorist with a fire extinguisher and a 5-foot Narwhal whale tusk to stop him from stabbing innocent people on London Bridge. Convicted terrorist Usman Khan, 28, killed a man and a woman before he was shot dead by police on Friday afternoon. Three people were injured following the knifeman’s rampage which started on the north side of London Bridge just before 2 pm. Incredible footage shows the moment hero bystanders chased Khan down the bridge as he embarked on his rampage brandishing a huge knife. A white-haired man is seen tailing the attacker, who was wearing a black cap and hoody and spraying him up close with a fire extinguisher.
Two other people quickly run after Khan and one can be seen jabbing him with what is believed to be a huge Narwhal tusk. Khan does a sharp turn and tries to head the other way before a third man tailing him swiftly punches him to the ground. The other two close in and pin him down as another man is seen running in the other direction with the attacker’s large knife. A Polish chef named Łukasz has been identified by The Times as the man who was heroically brandishing the tusk and ran towards the attacker as he threatened to detonate his device. A co-worker told the paper: ‘Łukasz grabbed a nearby pole and ran at him, getting stabbed in the hand in the process but continued to pin him down. ‘Being stabbed didn’t stop him giving him a beating. Łukasz is a hero’.
It is believed he grabbed the Narwhal tusk had been grabbed from the Fishmongers’ Hall – where Khan started his killing spree – and ran out onto the bridge when he heard the man had begun attacking people. A social media user shared a picture of the tusks hanging on the wall, adding: ‘Well that’s a bit spooky when I took a photo of these narwhal horns on a visit to the Fishmongers’ Hall earlier this year it didn’t really occur to me there might be a day soon when they’d be used to fight terrorism’. A stampede of people was seen running for their lives off the bridge, as police shouted ‘run don’t walk’, before hearing several gunshots. The identity of those killed has not yet been released and three other people are being treated in hospital for injuries sustained in the attack. American tourist Jacob Press, 25 from Washington D.C. said he only got to London yesterday but will be going home tomorrow.
He told Metro.co.uk: ‘I couldn’t see what was going on so I started walking closer to it, the cars had stopped, and as soon as I had gotten within 100 feet of that building maybe 200 feet of that building is when I heard a lot of the gunshots, and then everyone just ran immediately across. ‘Like I said it sounded because of the echoing it sounded like it was coming from all over. I just ran as fast as I could down to the stairs and then I was out of harm’s way. ‘I got to London yesterday from Europe but now I’m ready to go back home.’ He added: ‘Security was pushing us closer to the Christmas market because we were so close to the bridge. ‘They kept pushing us and pushing us and I called my parents to tell them I was okay. Police in boats and police in helicopters were everywhere. ‘I was terrified. The echoing of the bullets scared the crap out of me.’
Police said they are not actively seeking anyone else over the attack and have raided a house in Staffordshire linked to Khan. In 2012, Khan was ordered to serve at least eight years in jail over his part in an al Qaeda-inspired terror group that plotted to bomb the London Stock Exchange. He was released in December 2018 and was still wearing a monitoring tag during the attack. Khan had been attending a seminar in Fishmongers’ Hall, run by Cambridge University’s Criminology Department, to help offenders reintegrate into society following their release from jail. He was wearing a fake suicide vest and threatened to blow up the building before he ran out onto the bridge. Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu said that Khan ‘was known to authorities, having been convicted in 2012 for terrorism offenses.
‘He was released from prison in December 2018 on license and clearly a key line of inquiry now is to establish how he came to carry out this attack.’ Khan had been arrested in December 2010, four days before he and his nine-strong terror gang had planned to plant a bomb in the toilets of the London Stock Exchange. Police also found a handwritten list of targets which included the US Embassy, the Houses of Parliament and homes of a number of religious and political figures. The gang had carried out surveillance of other possible targets including Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, and the London Eye. They also wanted to create widespread panic in Stoke-on-Trent by planting bombs in pubs and club toilets. Khan had also wanted to build a terrorist training camp on land in Pakistan-controlled Kashmir owned by his family.
The plot was foiled after the security services bugged their homes and cars and heard talk of a ‘Mumbai’ atrocity on the streets of London to mirror the 2008 attacks in India. Then aged 20, Khan was secretly recorded talking about his plans, adding there were only three possible outcomes for him and his fellow jihadists: victory, martyrdom or prison. In February 2012 the nine men pleaded guilty to a variety of terror offenses just before their trial was due to start. Khan was originally given an indeterminate sentence for public protection but this was quashed at the Court of Appeal in April 2013 and he was given a determinate 16-year jail term. Last night Prime Minister Boris Johnson chaired a meeting of the Government’s emergency committee Cobra. He said he had ‘long argued’ that it is ‘a mistake to allow serious and violent criminals to come out of prison early.’